Three-bean chili with chunky tomatoes
Makes 4 servings.
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup celery, rinsed and chopped
1 cup green bell pepper, rinsed and diced
1 can (15 1/2 ounces) low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 1/2 ounces) low-sodium red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 1/2 ounces) low-sodium pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
- In an 8-quart soup or pasta pot, heat the oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add onion. Cook and stir until onion starts to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add celery and green pepper. Cook and stir another 5 minutes, until all vegetables soften.
- Add drained and rinsed beans to pot.
- Stir in tomatoes, cumin and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 to 20 minutes to blend flavors.
- Serve immediately.
If you can't find beans labeled "low sodium," compare the Nutrition Facts panels to find the beans with the lowest amount of sodium. Rinsing can help further reduce the sodium level.
Serving size: 2 cups. Amount per serving: 443 calories, 8g total fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 73g carbohydrates, 22g protein, 16g dietary fiber, 331mg sodium.