Mushroom barley soup
Makes 6 servings.
1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
1 medium onion, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
1/2 cup pearl barley, rinsed and drained
6 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth, divided
5 cups (about 3/4 pound) mushrooms, chopped
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cayenne pepper, to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add onion and celery, and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add barley and stir, constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of broth and bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a nonstick pan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté for 6 minutes, stirring constantly, until mushrooms are tender.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, and stir for 1 minute.
- Remove mushrooms from heat. Stir in carrots and set aside.
- After barley has simmered for 40 minutes, add mushroom and carrot mixture and remaining 2 cups of broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, until vegetables and barley are very tender.
- Season to taste with salt, black pepper and cayenne.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Mushrooms, barley and carrots make this soup full of fiber and high in vitamin B6.
Amount per serving: 140 calories, 2.5g total fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 25g carbohydrates, 4g protein, 5g dietary fiber, 200mg sodium.