Inpatient oncology unit
With private patient rooms to maximize patient comfort and encourage family involvement, medical oncology patients at Leesburg Regional Medical Center receive unique and specialized care. On the inpatient oncology unit, care is delivered by a team of experienced oncology nurses who work closely with our board-certified oncology physicians.
In addition to our certified oncology specialists, patients in our unit can access the services provided by:
- Pain management specialists
- Social workers
- Spiritual care professionals
Outpatient infusion center
The Outpatient Infusion Center at Leesburg Regional Medical Center provides supportive care in a comfortable environment for people who need frequent infusions of medications, including those with central lines. We are committed to providing our patients with the latest technologies in intravenous therapy in a safe, controlled environment.
All of our infusion nurses are educated and credentialed by the Oncology Nurse Society's biotherapy and chemotherapy standards. Typical services provided may include chemotherapy and blood administration, intravenous therapies, bladder installations, PICC line insertions and various diagnostic procedures including bone marrow aspiration.
Leesburg Regional Medical Center is accredited with commendation by the American College of Surgeons' Commission on Cancer (CoC).
There are only 1,500 CoC-accredited cancer programs in the United States. Accreditation encourages hospitals, treatment centers and other facilities to improve their quality of care through various cancer-related programs and activities. These programs are concerned with the full continuum of cancer—from prevention to survivorship and end-of-life care—while addressing both survival and quality of life.
Patients who obtain care at a CoC-accredited cancer program receive the following benefits:
- Quality cancer care
- Comprehensive care offering a range of state-of-the-art services and equipment
- A multidisciplinary team approach to coordinate the best cancer treatment options available
- Access to cancer-related information and education
- Access to patient-centered services such as psychosocial distress screening and navigation
- Options for genetic assessment and counseling and palliative care services
- Assessment of treatment planning based on evidence-based national treatment guidelines
- Information about clinical trials and new treatment options
- Follow-up care at the completion of treatment, including a survivorship care plan
- A cancer registry that collects data on cancer type, stage and treatment results, and offers lifelong patient follow-up
Award-winning cancer registry
Leesburg Regional Medical Center has been awarded the prestigious Jean Byers Award for excellence in cancer registration from the Florida Cancer Data System every year since 2002. This award acknowledges the quality, timeliness and completeness in the way cancer data is reported to the statewide cancer registry.